Wednesday 29 April 2015

Four-winged females

This is the first photograph I've ever taken of an Orange-tip butterfly.  It isn't that I haven't seen them before - we usually get a handful of males flying through the garden at this time of year.  The 'flying through' is the clue to why I've not photographed them before - they never settle long enough for me to get the camera and focus it.  But this female must have been hungry as she rested on the forget-me-nots long enough to get a few snaps.

Orange-tip female - Anthocharis cardamines
The bumblebees are all starting to emerge now - the rest catching up with the buff-tails that have been out for weeks.  This Garden Bumblebee is the first I've seen this year, and it was feeding up on red dead-nettle nectar.

Garden Bumblebee - Bombus hortorum
The Early bumblebees have been out for a few weeks as well.  The queens are usually the first to found colonies.  This very small worker is probably the first generation of a new colony.  She was taking advantage of our new comfrey patch, and you can see that she's already collecting pollen to feed the next generation of workers

Early Bumblebee - Bombus pratorum

No comments:

Post a Comment