Thursday 23 June 2016

Currant Clearwing

While collecting pollen at a comfrey patch near New Romney, I was delighted to find and partially recognize this, my first clearwing moth.  I say partially recognize, because I was fairly sure it was a clearwing moth, but I wasn't sure of the species.  All the clearwing moths are regarded as Nationally Scarce and this is no exception.  They are probably under recorded because they are not attracted to the normal lures that moth collectors use such as light traps or sugar and wine-soaked ropes.  They fly by day and are closely related to the more familiar burnet moths.

This one is female having 3 abdominal stripes, the male has 4.

Just waiting for confirmation having posted the image on iRecord.

Currant Clearwing moth - Synanthedon tipuliformis

No comments:

Post a Comment